Friday, September 11, 2015

Want To Be A Writer

So I have to admit, my favorite class in school was always Math. My senior year of high school can attest to this! I took 3 Math classes, all of which were year long courses, and only 1 was an actual required credit, but that didn't make it any less enjoyable!

If I'm going to be completely honest, I always dreaded walking into English, the course that is required EVERY year of high school. Now don't get me wrong, I love to read, but out of all the books that we were required to read, I only finished ONE! (It was Whirligig by Paul Fleischman) But it wasn't just the uninteresting reading that got me down, we then had to WRITE about the uninteresting books as well.

I always thought my mom and sisters were crazy. They were always writing, filling notebook upon notebook with stories. Why in the world would they find that fun? Each of them have tote boxes (Yes, I mean that as the plural.) FILLED with notebooks. I don't know if they are all different stories, related stories, or what, but they are there. Evidence of each of their imaginations, and love for writing, fill those notebooks. My sisters have traded in the notebooks (most of the time), for laptops, and tote boxes for external hard drives, but when I see my mom write, she still has a handy-dandy notebook!

At the beginning of this year, I thought of a story. It wasn't the first story I have ever though of, but this time was different. I have a passion for this story. I started writing, each new idea popping up faster than I could type. When I needed encouragement to keep at it, I joined Camp NaNoWriMo. (A suggestion from my sister, who has actively been participating with the organization for many years.)

So now I have a book, which I am currently editing, and I plan to self publish. Its geared towards young adults, and the Lewis Carroll fan club. It wont be my last!

I will explain the blog title a little better, for those of you who do indeed, WANT TO BE A WRITER. But first, there are probably a few of you who read 'NaNoWriMo' and said, HUH? (This stands for National Novel Writing Month, which is November.) This is a "fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to creative writing." Starting November 1st, all participants start working on the goal of writing 50,000 words (A Novel) by November 30th. Visit there website to find out more about it --> http://nanowrimo.org/about

This year I have registered our library for the 'Come Write-In' program. This program connects libraries, bookstores, and other community spaces with local NaNoWriMo participants, helping build writing communities!

So... Do you? Want to be a writer, I mean. You can sign up at http://nanowrimo.org/, and watch for postings about our Write-In events here, at the library, and on our facebook page!

If you have any questions, comment here on the blog or stop in and ask! I am looking forward to an eventful November!

No comments:

Post a Comment